I made a couple of small adjustments in my original plans (last post). Before tracing over their drawings to transfer to the styrofoam, I had the kids tape their line drawing to the plate on top. I had pre-torn small masking tape pieces and placed them on the "table person" at each table. That saved time of kids trying to tear the tape, and it helped the kids keep their drawing from moving around when they traced. I also asked them to trace the lines on their styrofoam again (directly on the styrofoam) to make the lines deeper.
We used brayers to apply the colored printing "ink" but stiff brushes to apply the black paint. It was interesting. I used regular, washable block printing paint on one day and black acrylic paint the next day. Actually, I found the results better with the acrylic because it was lighter and easier for the kids to spread thinly with the brushes.
Next week, students will use markers to add some color to their prints and cut paper to add a border. Check back for the results.