Sunday, February 20, 2011

Art Tools Still Life (revisited)

I had planned for 2nd graders to draw and paint the tools they work with this week, but I am not sure that we will get to it. I decided to post my plans anyway, just in case... I was planning to use Jim Dine's sketches of tools to introduce this lesson. A couple of weeks ago kids were learning to use shading to give depth to cylinders, so I planned to use a cupcake in my example. I'd  start having kids trace around their watercolor tray and brush.

They'd sketch their water bowl and use pencil to shade.

Next, they would sketch a still life object on another paper.
Then students would use watercolors to color the watercolor pans, the brush, the water dish and their "sketch." On a warm, drying day we could probably cut out and glue everything onto a 12" X 18" piece of construction paper the same day, but with the rainy days we've been having, that step would probalby have to wait for another day.  We'll see...

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your blog! I've passed along a Stylish Blogger Award to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I love all your ideas. You are a very skilled art teacher! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Mrs. Hahn. I follow your blog, too (and am always delighted with what I find!)

    And, thanks, Mary -- that was quite a surprise!!

    ReplyDelete