Wednesday, January 18, 2012

New Paint Trays

I had a little free time yesterday so I stopped by two of my favorite local stores. At Dick Blick I finally bought the paint trays I've been thinking of getting for ages. They perfectly fit the lidded souffle cups I put my paint in. I love the way I can stack them easily. I have seven work areas, so now I have 7 trays!!


I also got some flourescent and gold paint at Blick's for our James Rizzi cityscape project that we start tomorrow.

Then I went to Smart & Final (our local small big-box store) and got a bunch of cups for an upcoming Chihuly project and some sponges. A little while back someone was writing about using sponges for the kids to wipe brushes on as they paint (I think it was Phyl over at There's a Dragon in my Art Room, but I'm not sure). I do that myself at home, but haven't used them before at school. So now each set of desk partners as a sponge to use:)


Here are the foam core "buildings" kids will be painting tomorrow to start their cityscape. They will start painting warm and cool colored buildings with opposite colored windows this week. If there is time, they will also do a quick background. Next week we'll add the details. I've been looking forward to doing this since last Spring when I cut the foam core!!!

7 comments:

  1. Yup, it was me. We call them the "ugly sponges". They are oval shaped so they don't get mixed up with our table-washing sponges.

    I use the same sort of paint trays, with the same sort of covered cups in them. The only difference is mine have had years of use and don't look so pretty and pristine as yours!

    Can't wait to see how your Rizzi project turns out! Meanwhile I also have Chihuly planned, but not for a while yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pristine today, take a good look, cause at the end of tomorrow, pristine no more!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing these tips- will definitely use the sponge idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good looking paint set up. I need to head over to Smart and Final...

    Please tell me about your lidded souffle cups. Are they airtight? Does your paint dry out quickly? What brand do you use?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cups and lids are sold separately at S & F in large quantities. On bag of cups usually lasts me for the whole year and I think a bag is under $5. I use them for all sorts of things, but mainly paint. Liquid watercolor lasts forever; tempera lasts for several weeks and acrylics last pretty long, too. I have used them for years, but having the cup holders for each table has really been a time saver!!

      Delete
  5. Is this the link for what you bought? http://www.dickblick.com/products/richeson-plastic-muffin-pans/?clickTracking=true

    Please let me know, thanks!

    tartseam@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trays in the link look like the ones I bought at the Dick Blick store. Good luck!

      Delete