Monday, August 1, 2011

Experimenting with Stencils and Prints

I saw an ad for a set of 10 Dough Rollers at Lakeshore (click Lakeshore to see the set) and started thinking about using adhesive backed foam to make print rollers with them. So I stopped by the store today to pick up a set and start playing.

I began with a roller, foam and green acrylic paint to roll out a background. I wasn't sure the adhesive would stick to the plastic well, but there was no problem at all!


One thing led to another and pretty soon I had wrapped some rubber bands around a cork (from the last wine bottle I used) and tried some prints with that using red acrylic. I would probably use tempera at school, but I don't have any at home to try it out now.

I had asked my mother to save me the steamer inserts from the Marie Callender's Steamer Bowls that she was eating last week. I tried using the steamer insert holes and a stiff brush to stencil the blue design -- COOL and SO easy!!


I'm not sure how I will implement all of these, but you will definitely see them again this year!! The green reminds me of underwater plants.

5 comments:

  1. what fun! I just also saw a pin (Pinterest) that was about texture rollers made hot glue. That could be another idea for printing, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good idea, too! The one thing I found with the adhesive foam on these rollers is that, while it adheres really well -- a good thing -- it's really hard to get off if you want back to back classes to make their own rollers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this! I can see how one would jsut start rolling away, and suddenloy find the whole day gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You would love the "Print and Stamp Lab" book by Traci Bunkers

    ReplyDelete