Sunday, February 5, 2012

Cooperative Squares


Last Spring I saw a great post on Pamela Holderman's site (here) about a cooperative project using circles. In her lesson the kids collaged and painted circles, cut their paintings into fourths and exchanged pieces to create a whole picture that they then layered with acetate and drew details on. Thanks, Pamela, for the motivation!!

I decided to change the circles to squares, omit the acetate, having the kids draw details right on their final piece, and make the main objective of the lesson REPETITION. So, this week we'll be doing the first steps:
     1. Students fold a 12" X 12" paper in fourths. (They know in advance that they will be sharing their painting with others.) I pre-cut some squares using a musical score for the kids to glue in the center (so they have a frame of reference for painting their squares in the next steps) and on each of the four corners (to reinforce the concept of repetition).

     2. Starting in the center, students paint and collage squares working from the center outward (being sure to repeat colors at least once):




     3. Week 2 we will cut each piece in fourths, using the fold lines on the back of the painting to follow, and exchange pieces so that each child has 1/4 of his/her own work and 3 pieces from classmates. Using sandwich picks and Glue All, kids will glue their 4 pieces onto another 12" X 12" piece of construction paper, using the sides to match.

If there is time, they will be able to add a few more details to their glued pieces.
I'll post the results as they become available.  Have a great week!

14 comments:

  1. And I'm pinning it! I love the way it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is BEAUTIFUL! I'm probably going to steal this too!
    (Also, ot really reminds me of Jane LaFazios's circles...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right Rachel, it does! I hadn't thought of that!! One of these days I want to take her class and learn how to do those:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love art projects like this. Can't wait to see more. This lesson has so many possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you changed the idea - I might have to try the square myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to be the lone dissenter, but I love the paintings just the way they are! I wouldn't have the heart to cut them up!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had an elementary art class, too. Very nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are very cool,but I agree with Pat, they are too beautiful the way they are to cut up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm doing this on monday when i return from spring break. i love it! i also, have a blog if you'd like to check it out. http://mrslevinesartblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post thank you Chris

    ReplyDelete