Friday, January 17, 2014

5th Grade One-Point Perspective Results

I started the second session of this 5th grade lesson with a "Hang Spider" game using the word "quadrilateral". Hang Spider is my less violent version of the old game Hangman.  It was interesting that the kids didn't guess the word right away after our work from last week. (You can see last week's lesson here.)

I asked them to review any coloring they started last week to try to emphasize the difference in value from their very darkest to very lightest hue. This was hard for some kids and they expressed that it was hard to tell how hard to press with the pencil. I think we sometimes forget that these seemingly simple skills take time to master!! Some students used erasers to get even lighter tints nearest each quadrilateral. I was so pleased to see how conscientious most were in trying to achieve the desired result!!

Students had choices for their background. Most went with the watercolor wash they made last week, but a few branched out and used other recycled illustration board that I had around.


I loved it when one boy decided to put this pattern on one of his quadrilaterals. Of course, I jumped on that and shared his idea. That generated some more variety (as you can see in the top photo).  I especially liked his checkerboard look!!

4 comments:

  1. I really like this project---great inspiration for my own 5th graders! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, simple way to intro perspective without being too intimidating! I used to do something similar with my 4th graders - we called it 'flying boxes'. I like the contrasts of the backgrounds chosen, and especially like the one that 'breaks' the border, going right past the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me again... Christie, I don't suppose you are going to attend the NAEA convention in San Diego? Due to a stroke of luck and sheer devil-may-care craziness, I am flying across the country to attend the convention, and am hoping to meet some of my California blogger friends. Let me know if you'll be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't decided yet about the convention -- I have to go back and re-read the schedules. I may drive down for one of the days. If I do, it would be great fun to meet!!!!!

      Delete