Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A Red, White and Blue Friend

Last week I was pondering how to replicate the art mask given to me by a friend to use as a classroom project. I had thought I would use plaster cloth like the original but try a different sort of hair.
Instead of the plaster cloth, I tried a paper mache version, molding 2-3 layers of newspaper over an upside down bowl. I lined the bowl shape with foil first so I could lift it off the mold easily. When it was dry, I cut around the base to even everything. You could leave the foil on the inside for stability, but I pealed it off and that worked fine, too. Then I painted the whole "dome" with a layer of Gesso.
Instead of shells for the spiky hair, I rolled triangles of magazine paper to make long paper beads (like we used to make for necklaces in Crafts classes as a kid).
 I found I actually liked the paper mache better than plaster for classroom use because it was easier to poke holes to insert the hair. I just used a push pin (you can see it on the lower right), poked a hole and then wiggled it around a little to make the hole large enough for the end of the paper bead to go through.
For the eyes I ended up tying a piece of black perle cotton (like sewing thread, only thicker -- but not as thick as string) criss-crossed - like you were tying a package around each seed pod. I poked holes in the mask, inserted the threads and tied them together on the inside. Then I secured the perle cotton on the inside with a piece of duct tape. You can kind of see the inside in this next photo.
I also liberally applied glue to the inside of the hair spikes. I started using Glue All, and it probably would have worked, but then decided to take Phyl's advice (see last post comment) and used Tacky Glue, too. I also put some Tacky Glue under each seed pod eye so they wouldn't wobble around.

For the color,  I used red acrylic, watered down a bit so I'd get some texture and variation of color. When I had glued all the hair spikes and eyes, the last step was to paint the blue designs. I use acrylics for this step, too.

I love having time during the summer to try things out. To be honest, this was fun to make, BUT I don't think I'll be using it in the classroom because of all the various steps of drying time. All in all, it took 6 different days just to dry, plus the painting and bead-making steps!! GREAT for a "do at home" project with the kids, but it won't work in the classroom setting I have. It also takes a bit of patience and dexterity, so I  probably wouldn't do it with grades younger than 4th.

Speaking of 4th, HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY everyone!!! I'm now off to bake dessert for our yearly barbecue!!



3 comments:

  1. Now that I see what you were doing, I think I would have just zapped all the spikes in with a glue gun. But you are right; for something that looks so simple it does seem like it has a lot of steps! Where did you find those cool seed pods? (what kind of plant?)

    What is the origin of the original mask - it's certainly an odd little thing isn't it? It looks like something that would have some interesting cultural significance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phyl,
      Someone commented to me that the pods are from a "sweet gum tree." Whatever they are they come from trees that line the street next to our school, so they are plentiful!! If I were making these masks with a smaller group (my 4th and 5th grade classes are up to 32-34) I would use a glue gun. With that many kids, I'm not comfortable letting the kids use the guns. I did a project last year where I had to do some glue gun reinforcing and had the kids bring their work to me for a few zaps, but it was hard to get everything done in 45 min. -- never again!! The Tacky Glue was a good suggestion, though; worked great on the eyes. As I said above, I have decided not to do this project with full classes, but I will keep it in mind if I ever have the chance to work with a small handful of kids:)

      A friend found the original mask in a small gift store (I think) years ago. I think it may have been done by a local artist. It is an interesting little thing (and now it has another interesting little pal to go with it!!)

      Delete
  2. A cool, creative project.
    I love the process.

    ReplyDelete