Friday, September 9, 2011

Reflections for 2011-12??

Earlier today, when I got home from going to a movie (that's right, I don't start teaching kids for another 3 weeks!!), I was reading what I thought was a great blog by Natalie at smART Class about doing reflections in puddles using markers. See it here. That got me thinking. Last year our 1st graders made some terrific crayon resist pieces of the Santa Monica Pier with reflections in the water. ( See it here.) A lot of the kids said it was one of their favorite art projects.

Perhaps it is because I haven't actually start teaching kids and I am jealous of all of you who have, but I felt compelled to whisk out some water soluble Crayola markers and try Natalie's method with just a straight city scene.  What fun!! I think we might just do a version of this during the year. I liked that it was a relatively quick process that could be done in one 45-minute period or that it would be a good lesson for a substitute to do.

Using just the Crayola Washable Markers and a piece of copy paper from my printer, this is what I did.

I outlined the buildings first, then colored them and the sky in, leaving only the clouds white.
Then I sprayed the bottom of the paper generously with water (I imagine that doing a quick water wash
would work just as well).


I carefully folded the top part of the paper down on top of the wet, white part and gently pressed. If the reflection wasn't printing, I lifted up and sprayed a bit more water in that spot.

This is the finished (and still wet) product. I can picture a whole bunch all lined up together.  What fun this was! Now it is back to reading my current book.

Oh, and for those of you who need details and closure, the movie I saw was The Guard (an Irish film). It was quirky, fun and unpredictable and I liked it a lot!!

13 comments:

  1. Love this simple idea! Going to have to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - great idea!

    Meanwhile I was about to ask you "what movie?" when I read the end of your post! Thanks for reading my mind. I guess I'm that gal that needs closure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow-this is a really cool project. Will definitely try it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow-this is a really cool project. Will definitely try it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful idea!!!! I love it! I will be doing this with Mini's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neat little project… think I might try it out straight away! cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Christie

    I taught your lesson to third grade and wrote it up on the blog (and credited you). Thanks so much for your super-clear instructions. This lesson was a big hit with the kids!
    We added a second day to the lesson - we reworked the (dry) upper half of the reflection with oil pastel. It made the printed work even more vibrant. AND we were able to tie it to an artwork by local San Diego artist Grant Pecoff.

    Rina at www.k6art.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love what your kids did with this technique AND thank you for introducing me to Pecoff. I love being able to share California artists with my classes!!

      Delete
  8. I taught this lesson to first graders while teaching them about artist Frank Lloyd Wright and His building structures. They turned out great and the Principle wanted to know how they did it! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was great! The kids LOVED it ( k-4). I found construction paper was easier to use than printer paper. The first class, we used too large of paper and folding it when it was wet was difficult. The printer sized paper works best. Also, to avoid air bubbles, working slowly from the center crease fold on up to the edge of the paper eliminated most of them. We hung ours to dry which was better than in the drying rack for avoid too large of curls and wrinkles.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad to hear that it worked so well!!

      Delete
  10. I so appreciate all the great ideas you share! I am a better teacher because of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. I'm happy to have been of help:))

      Delete