Thursday, August 6, 2015

Cakes Revisited

I was recently asked by a reader how to draw cakes like the oil pastel ones below (which I did with 5th graders a few years ago during a study of Wayne Thiebaud).

I thought maybe I had directions somewhere on the blog showing the steps I used that I could refer her to, but I couldn't find any. So, here is a quick step-by-step. Hope it helps!!

Of course, you could just bake up (or buy) a luscious cake, cut out a slice or 2 (which you could eat as a snack at recess time), project the cake onto a screen with your document camera (if you have one) and let the kids do an observational drawing. Just sayin' -- it's an option:))

Here is what a whole bunch of cakes look like. You may notice that kids made their cakes whatever number of layers and flavors they wanted and decorated however they liked. We also talked a LOT about "light source" and where the shadows would be. The platters were sandwich foil that I got at our local Smart & Final and they were glued first, before the cut out cakes were glued on.






4 comments:

  1. Really helpful tutorial. Those cakes look scrumptious! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you...I am looking forward to using this with my kids

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely - what brand of oil pastels do you use? I can't get mine to achieve the same blending results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren - My favorites are Pentel. They are very soft, so they may not last as long, but are easy for kids to blend with.

    ReplyDelete