My hope was that our school's bed of agapanthus would be in full bloom before the end of the semester and that I would take classes out to do observational drawings, but alas, it didn't happen that way. All we had were lots of buds. So I went to Plan B.
I went out into the neighborhood where, of course, the flowers were in full bloom and took some photos. I then took one of them and edited it on a site called "Ipiccy.com" (which I heard about from Mary at Marymaking blog - which you can find on my sidebar) to get the impression of a negative. I may do more with this concept next year for teaching positive/negative space.
In this lesson, using the negative photo as inspiration, kids use a brush for the stems and parts of the flower, the edge of a piece of scrap matt board to print the spiky parts of the flower and their fingerprints for the round parts of the blossom.
Using the color print as a guide, kids make colored papers trying to duplicate the various purples and lavenders of the agapanthus. These are used as part of the double matt their silhouettes. I am thinking that painted papers in greens would also add to this lesson next time.