Sunday, March 20, 2011

Still Life Collage

Following our last session on light source and adding value to drawings, this week we are applying those principles to a still life collage. I saw a lesson similar to this awhile ago at Mary's blog here, and thought I just had to try it with first graders. Because I wanted this to be a "one session" lesson, I changed the media we'll use to dry stuff (markers, crayon, oil pastel and cut paper).

We'll start with a Matisse inspired wallpaper, using Woman in a Purple Robe to get the idea.

For the tablecloth, students will use some old Abacus Wall Calendars that I have saved for years and years. They have great patterns and deep colors. I'll have a basket of fruit projected on the Smartboard for kids to use as a still life, so we'll apply texture to the basket shape using rubbings. I have a bunch of textured tiles and those mesh bags that lemons, limes, etc. come in for kids to use.

Next, we'll use construction paper to cut out the fruit shapes (apples, oranges, lemons, pineapple - I want the pineapple for height). Students will think about where the light is coming from as they use crayon to shade their fruits and add highlights.
Check later in the week for results!!
Have a good week, everyone.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the step by step pictures of your project.

    It is a challenge for the first graders to understand the source of lighting.

    I can't wait to see the final results.

    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the mesh idea! will have to give that a try. great pics!

    ReplyDelete