Thursday, October 27, 2011

3rd Grade Regatta Results


3rd graders finished up their regatta collages this week. I pretty much followed my plans posted here.  The only change I made was to use a triangle template as a viewfinder to help the kids see where stripes might be as they cut out sails from magazine pages.
You can see it on the left in the photo below. I marked where the mast would be with a yellow marker so students wouldn't be confused. This worked REALLY well and they were delighted to move it around and try out different sail possibilities!

Skills learned in this lesson centered around perspective: that close-up objects are larger and placed near the bottom of the seascape (by the sand) and that boats that are farther away should be placed nearer the sky. Because the "water" was torn into strips, it was easy for the kids to place their boats appropriately. (The other focus skills are listed on the bulletin board photo below.)



I wasn't intentionally working on creating "motion" in the art, but as students tipped their boats and applied the splatter, I think many accomplished just that - an added bonus!!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Christie, these are GORGEOUS!!! With today's 32 degree weather and steady snowfall I'm a bit jealous by the photo you posted of the view when you first wrote about this lesson. I could use a good dose of ocean, sun, and sand right now.

    Anyhow, great project, wonderful results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of the triangle as the viewfinder.

    The projects turned out beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just tried this project out with the fourth graders. Turned out great! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your very welcome -- glad to be of help. This was a fun lesson that I will definitely do again. I was thinking the other day that it would be interesting to try it larger, in the form of a mural:))

      Delete